Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Who's Who in Engineering 1937


Remember Omi's coat hangars?
254vreeland: Sentimental coat hangars

Oma J. was fond of mentioning an entry in the reference book, Who's Who in Engineering. The entry was for Opa, of course. When she did this, she encouraged me to be like Opa--a scientist-- and to be proud of the Zuschlag name.
I might have been 8 years old when I first heard about Opa's reputation, his patents and Who's Who. After I was 40, I received the legendary book. To share it with you, I've transcribed that Who's Who entry here.

Who’s Who in Engineering

A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY
Of
THE ENGINEERING PROFESSION
1937
(FOURTH EDITION)

LEWIS HISTORICAL PUBLISHNG COMPANY, Inc.
NEW YORK CITY
1937

PREFACE

At the end of six months period of intensive correspondence and compilation, the 4th edition of “Who’s Who in Engineering” comes from the press, a more comprehensive and exact picture of the personnel of the engineering profession in all its branches than has ever before been made, and an officially sponsored volume to guide the inquirer in this special field.

There has been no substantial change in the established qualifications for inclusion in the volume, decided upon by the Committee as follows:

(a Engineers of outstanding and acknowledged professional eminence.

(b) Engineers of at least ten years active practice, at least five years of which have been in responsible charge of important engineering work.

(c) Teachers of engineering subjects in colleges or schools of accepted standing who have taught such subjects for at least ten years, at least five years of which have been in responsible charge of a major engineering course in such college or school. [...]

Preceding entries

ZOKELT, Carl Gotthelf, of Seattle, Wash. Cons. Mech. & Elec. Engr. b. Schuyler, Nebr.

ZOLPER, Harry William, of Rapid City, S. D. Civ. Engr., b. Troy Grove Township, Ill.

ZUSCHLAG, Theodor. Chief Engr., Magnetic Analysis Corp., 42-44 12th St., Long Island City, N. Y.; res. 314 Rutland Ave., W. Englewood, N. J.

Geophysical Research, Engineer; b. Kassel, Ger.,Oct 3, 1895; s. George W. and Amanda Zuschlag; ed. Technical Inst., Munich, 1919-21; Technical Inst., Dresden, E. E., 1921-22;

m. Johanna Schulze, 1923, Berlin, Ger.; ch.: Heinz G., Elizabeth C., Thea H. Research engr., Allgemeine Elektrizitaets Gesellschaft, 1922-23, Siemens & Halske, Charlottenburg, 1923-24; Geophysical Inst., Erda Goettingen, 1924-25; Taumac Corpn., N. Y., 1925-28; research engr., Swedish-Am. Prospecting Corpn., 1928 to 1931; 1931 to date Chf. Engr., Magnetic Analysis Corp. Inventor numerous patents relating to Geophysical Prospecting, Magnetic Testing and Steel Inspection. Writer of technical papers, A. I. M. M. E. Mem. A. I. M. E., A. S. T. M., A. I. E. E.

Following entries

ZWILGMEYER, Peter Gustav Chief Draftsman, Right of Way Dept. Seattle, Wash. b. Staubo, Arendal, Norway

ZWORYKIN, Vladimir K Dir, Electronic Research Lab. Philadelphia, Pa. b. Russia


No comments: